How to fix small crack (checking) in Teak patio furniture.
Small cracking or checking in teak patio furniture is very common complaint we receive once a while. It usually happen within first 2 to 4 months or after winter/rainy season ends. It is very common with teak furniture to develop some crack due to different weather condition in different area. Some time due to sudden variation in the weather teak wood grins start opening fast and small crack develop on week area. It is very normal. Most of these cracks close automatically, but some of them start opening wider and wider and might effect the furniture. It is best if you take care small crack on time. You can do it yourself.
Here is how to fix small crack (checking) in Teak patio furniture.
- Clean the checking (crack) area using water and soap with cloth or brush to remove the dust. Let is dry completely.
- Pure couple drops or more depends upon size of crack of crazy glue or supper glue.
- Use 150 Grit sand paper and sand it right after you pour the glue . It will fill the crack with teak sand dusk and close the crack permanently.
How to fix wider (Medium) cracks in Teak furniture.
- Clean the cracks with soap and water using cloth or brush to remove the dust. Let is dry completely.
- Fill the crack with wooden glue (recommended Gorilla glue) available most of the hardware store. I
- Use clamper Close the crack; Remover extra glue came out due to clamping presser. Leave the clamps on for 8 to 10 hours. Once it is dried remove the clamps and use little sharp object to remove extra left over glue.
- Use 150 plus grit sand paper and sand it all around the crack until it smoothness match rest of the piece.
Teak Furniture Care Preserves Your Furniture
Once you've made an investment you want to ensure that it is taken care of. Sometimes that investment can be maintained by someone other than you but sometimes it takes your time and energy to learn how to care for it yourself. When it comes to teak outdoor furniture care the time you put into making sure your patio furniture looks its best is well worth the effort. You can find tips and even the products it takes to maintain the durability and appearance of your teak furniture.
Know more about Teak Wood
Teak is sturdy water –resistant, close grain hardwood that frequently used for outdoor living and furnishing. Because of its strength of high in natural oil and rubber content, it adjusts very well in different weather condition. Teak is the only timber that can withstand in hot sun, rain, frost or snow and immune to rotting, fungi and harsh chemicals. Teak wood needs to be properly processed (Kiln Dried) before constructing furniture,
Teak is a tropical hardwood with a beautiful golden /honey brown color when it is new. Over time, as natural teak is exposed to the elements, it gradually changes color from the honey color of new teak to a silver-grey patina which distinguishes finely aged, outdoor teak. After a while this silver-grey patina deteriorates to a dark-grey and greenish look if it remains untreated. Remember if you need to restore teak furniture we do provide this service with very minimum cost.